IDEA Initiative is designed to motivate the entrepreneur, technology, communications and social impact investment ecosystems to explore creativity, innovation and talent to transform ideas into solutions for the most stubborn and entrenched issues in health and reproductive rights in Latin America.
For 50 years, Planned Parenthood Global has supported access to sexual and reproductive health care and advocated for reproductive rights in Latin America and around the world, through strategic alliances with multiple stakeholders to contribute to a powerful global movement.
Despite this undeniable positive impact, the exercise of reproductive rights in Latin America faces huge barriers in key areas:
- The expansion of comprehensive sexuality education and the availability of modern and effective contraceptives. The access to legal and safe abortion.
- Restrictive laws and public policies. Insufficient or inefficiently allocated public budgets.
- Social norms that perpetuate prejudices against the exercise of reproductive rights.
This reality causes, among others, the following consequences:
Latin America is the only region in the world where children and adolescent pregnancies increase every year. Each year, more than 2 million adolescents between the ages of 15 and 18 become pregnant, impacting their educational career and job opportunities.
Although abortion is a safe and medically simple procedure, 760,000 women are treated annually for complications resulting from the need to turn to unsafe abortion.
More than 97% of women of reproductive age live in countries where abortion is highly restricted by law and socio-cultural norms.
More than 1 million girls and adolescents have suffered sexual violence.
65% of women of reproductive age want to avoid pregnancy but cannot.
24 million women have an unmet need for modern contraception.
Improving this reality and achieving a positive impact for Latin America’s development is possible, if we can overcome the constant barriers that limit one's ability to exercise their reproductive rights. An exciting challenge!
What do we do?
- We work with people, organizations and companies who are passionate for finding creative and disruptive solutions to the barriers to access to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services, advocating for the change of restrictive laws that hinder the exercise of their reproductive rights, and transforming social norms that perpetuate the prejudices on reproductive rights.
- We invest in disruptive ideas resulting from the intersection between technology, advertising, communication and social impact entrepreneurship with reproductive rights.
- We help non-profit organizations to transform themselves into social impact ventures.
- We support the creation of new social impact ventures through intensive training, professional coaching and seed capital.
- We motivate a social innovation ecosystem consisted of leaders in the advertising, technology, social media, social entrepreneurship, social impact investment funds, activists and non-profit sectors.
Disruptive projects supported
Social impact ventures supported
Networking, inspiration and learning events held
Participants in IDEA Events
Companies and organizations involved